Thursday, January 20, 2005

Not too surprising...

so, for those of you who know me, you know that i love my xbox like a fat kid loves cake... only moreso. some of the best memories of highschool and college were times the fellas and i would sit around and play video games late into the night and early morning.

i don't know if there is something inate about the sharing of the video game experience, especially with close friends that is the appealing part, or if blowing the crap out of a buddy to show him who's boss is what floats my boat... all i know is that whatever it is, my xbox and i have a special relationship that can only be characterized as 'intimate.'


c'mon fella's, you know what i'm talking about.


my xbox has been in storage for about the past year or so. i was in minneapolis last year envolved with a ministry called youthworks, and i had plenty to do without its magic pull, and then this past 6 or 7 months i have been in school getting my EMT/Fifefighter 1/HazMat Ops certs, and i vowed that i would lay xbox dorment for diligent academic reasons, not to be played until all of my credits and testings were over... which they just became.

now the only problem was that i hadn't a television to allocate xbox's powers toward...



very disappointing.



then BOOM! out of nowhere joey, a friend of mine, offered me his old tv 'cuz he and his wife just bought a new one.

fantastic!!!

so two nights ago i went to his place to pic it up. it is fairly old, and definately doesn't have a place to plug xbox into (no a/v plug in's), but it does have a coverter box that hooked up via coax and all i needed was a cable.

i decided that i would make a late-night trip to wal-mart (i usually try to bilk wal-mart every chance i get, but in this case it was 1 in the morning and it was the only thing open, and i was desperate... i had been without my box for more than a year).

i planned on clearing all of the magazines and other random stiff off my coffee table to make room for the tv. i didn't really have a place for all the crap on the table other than the table itself, but i thought a cluttered room would be well worth the time my old friend and i would spend together.

i got the tv out of the car and brought it upstairs. a roommate flicked on the upstairs light for me and asked if i needed any help. i declined, the tv wasn't that heavy, it was more precarious than anything.

about 5 feet from my room and the salvation of my 'playing reflexes,' i turned, tv in hand, to ask my roommate whether or not he had a coax cable i could borrow (to avoid the wal-mart run), and as the word 'coax' left my lips, the side piece of the tv i was gripping onto broke off, and it, coupled with the tv, fell to the floor with a resounding thud and crack.

i stared at the floor in disbelief for a minute or so... just long enough for all of my hopes to be crushed in the same way the bulb at the back of the tv screen was.

'what happens if we plug it in? it still might work...' said my roommate, as pieces of glass and plastic glimmered oll over the carpet.

'uh, i dunno dude.' i responed. 'i don't think that's a very good idea.'

i then went downstairs for a grabage bag and vacuum cleaner...




i was able to clean up the glass and other surrounding pieces of metal and wiring...




yet i am still unable to clean up the broken pieces of my heart...





i'm sorry xbox... i guess it's still not your time... i love you.

11 Comments:

Blogger Aspenchick said...

I read about how much you love your x-box and it reminded me of my boyfriend and his love for his. Very cute.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow dude, that really sucks! I'm so sorry about the Box.
I have a tv so move to minnesota!


Mark

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude,
Buy a TV and stop being so cheap it's not like you are spending your cash on anything else.
Anonymously,
Will

5:36 PM  
Blogger Lord Milton Pepperbottom III said...

okay, first, thank you aspenchick for the comment... i know a man's love for his xbox is bigger than me... im glad to hear that your boyfriend is also experienceing the kind of lve i am!

second, mark, im on my way!

third, will ya jerk, im poor as dirt! don't you know this! gimme some money and ill stop being cheap!

7:30 PM  
Blogger jessvancity said...

i suppose i should say something sympathetic...but i just think it's kinda funny:-). i've never been able to understand guys and their weird, consuming obsessions with video games...maybe it's a gender thing?? but don't worry...you and your xbox are obviously meant to be. you'll be together someday..

9:28 PM  
Blogger Lord Milton Pepperbottom III said...

anya! thank you for your word of encouragement! i wish you could understand the bond x and i share... is there not any female equivalent? ummm, boys? jelly beans? stickers? for you, reading, hiking, eating maybe ("eating (more obsession than interest really") i dunno, im not a chick. but seriously, i do hope i can play soon, the broken tv was such a tease!

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe you could just pull out the X-box and pretend to play it?...you know, at least some tactile memories of you and the X-box?

rachelle

2:57 PM  
Blogger Lord Milton Pepperbottom III said...

that's not a bad idea raquell... though i worry that the thumb movements might trigger a sarotonin filled pavlovian response... which would be nice... only, the corresponding lack of visual stimuli might only confuse my senses, eliciting nausia and vomiting...

but, what the heck! i'll give it a try...



...



...



oh man, that was gross... clean up in isle 4!

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeeves, that story brings a tear to my eye - you know all too well the extent to which i share in the unabashed love for the 'bosch. To add insult to injury, let me tell you my xbox-related story from yesterday: my ladyfiend and I returned to my apartment after a long day of work and exercise, and as i entered my living room I was greeted with the following quote from her mouth:

"Jon, can we play xbox?"I think that was probably the sexiest thing i'd heard all week! :) Point being, don't give up man - there's a chance that you, your xbox, your [future] tv, and [future] woman can all live together happily. And who knows, maybe your buddy Jon will around too, to remind you who the boss really is...

I'll pour one out tonight for both your neglected xbox and your shattered television...

-m00n-P.S. Did you try plugging it in? :)

P.P.S. I failed that test like it was going out of style - we'll see if they let me stay...

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Foiled again by the inaccurate preview option!

Anyway, hop on over to jev's photoblog to see an example of his xbox-love in action! (See comment number three)

-m00n-

11:20 AM  
Blogger Lord Milton Pepperbottom III said...

MOON! you failed your test dude? no way! seriousl? guy! oh man, i hope you didn't fail it as bad as you thought, brother... i'll talk to Jesus about it for you!!! also, that was quite sexy... i mean, what your girl said... did you just crap yourself or what? one day, i'll have a girl, and that girl will like the 'bosch too... mmm, what am amazing future that would be!

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home